Monday, April 23, 2012

Match Spotlight: Whitney and Raelynn

This month's match spotlight highlights Whitney and Raelynn's match from the perspective of Raelynn's mother:


Big Brothers Big Sisters is an organization that is near and dear to my heart.  As the mother of a Little; Miss Raelynn, I have gotten to watch her grow and step out of her shell over the past couple of years as she and Whitney have become very close friends.  Whitney is able to spend quality one on one time with her doing things both of them enjoy, leaving me with a little time also to have those much needed Mom moments.  Some of the things that Raelynn and Whitney have done together include swimming, movies, playing board games and Wii, attending community events together, such as Christmas on Main and Halloween on Main, and Raelynn's favorite, bowling.  Whitney has also gone with us to watch some of Raelynn's school programs and special events. 

Raelynn and Whitney spend between 6 and 10 hours together each month.  I have seen Raelynn turn into a young woman who wants to be involved in community events; for example, she is going to be with me to do the Passion Play at our church this year.  Raelynn is becoming a leader in her class because of the positive example she has seen through her relationship with Whitney.   Raelynn and Whitney’s relationship has been a great fit.

Big Brothers Big Sisters has more than just an impact on the child and mentor, it has an impact on the entire family.  I know I have grown over the past two years as  I have been able to watch my child grow and mature.  My son has also seen the positive impact his sister’s relationship has had on us, we feel like Whitney is a part of our family.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my story and please consider making an impact on the lives of many families.

No comments:

Post a Comment