Friday, April 20, 2012

National Volunteer Week

As National Volunteer Week comes to an end, we thought we would leave you with a few words from Congressman Bruce Braley:






This week is National Volunteer Week.  I hope you will take this very special opportunity to reach out and get involved to make your community a better place. 

Growing up in Brooklyn, Iowa, my parents set great examples of giving to our community - my mother was a teacher and my father, a veteran.  They led by example, encouraging my siblings and me to get involved and give back in our own unique ways.

When my wife Carolyn and I had children, we knew that it was a value we wanted to instill in them.  We became involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters, and I became a Big Brother to DeUndre, who lived in Waterloo with his family.  We spent time playing games, working on homework, celebrating birthdays, and we became good friends.

When DeUndre was 12 years old, he was diagnosed with cancer.  He was hospitalized at the University of Iowa to undergo treatment, but his family was unable to be by his side as he went through chemotherapy.  I was able to go to Iowa City and stay by his side for several weeks helping him through his treatment - giving peace of mind to his family and being a familiar face for DeUndre.  He was an incredible example of strength as he fought, and later beat cancer.

Although DeUndre is now in his twenties, he and I are still close and I'm thankful for the experiences we have shared together.  Being a Big Brother has impacted me in many, many ways and I wanted to share my experience and encourage others to get involved as well.  I later became president of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Iowa to do just that.

Being involved in the community has been a constant reminder about why I'm proud to be an Iowan.  We look out for each other; we help each other and want what's best for each other.

Thank you for all you do.
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment